Today, I took the plunge.
After reading other people's reactions, I'm a little squirmy about posting this.
I don't want to join the chorus of unhappy voices about season six, but my opinions are what they are.
and this time, they've landed me in the minority
Balthazar. Godfather references. Snark.
That was easily one of the most epic episode beginnings in the history of ever.
- "should we be killing something?"
I loled. I loled as I have not loled since 6.04
- seeing Genevieve credited as Genevieve Padalecki is a little surreal.
Don't get me wrong, I've got no issues with her marriage to Jared - hell, why would I? I don't know anything about these people, and their lives are their own.
After seeing her credited as Genevieve Cortese for an entire season, I had a little "wait, who... OH" moment.
- "so, we'd have to cut out the scene where they sit on the Impala and talk about their feelings"
- "I'm a painted whore"
Watching Dean's manliness crumble before my very eyes was one of the funniest things I've ever seen
- FFFFFFF MISHA! Fuuuuck, Misha.
This Misha is such an exaggerated, silly little caricature.
It's almost difficult to watch. I want to hug him.
- the stereotypes. GOD, the stereotypes!
with the fish tanks and the alpacas and the mansion and the narcissism.
the writers are doing their damndest to distract us, and for now, I'm going to sit back and be entertained.
- D'awwwwwww. They're such adorably terrible actors without the Trickster's threats hanging over their heads.
- "He sold OctoCobra? Mother of God."
This, my dears, is called... I don't even know what the fuck to call it. Meta to the power of meta, maybe?
I'm getting echoes of a little too indulgently self-referential.
- ... they killed Misha? Fuckin' a, they're not screwing around.
- Why the fuck didn't Rob Benedict play Kripke? WHY?
- holy shit. This got dark in a serious hurry.
on a side note, dude who looks a little like Richard dodging bullets with that look on his face. Nice.
- I love the fact that Raphael is inhabiting a female vessel now
- Shiiiiiit. Bamf!Cas is bamf
- oh, Castiel, you make my heart hurt.
and this episode made my head hurt
In my opinion, the whole throw-Sam-and-Dean-into-another-world-to-s
Instead, we were shown too much of the wrong kind of things.
(granted, the weapons of Heaven thing might not be a deus ex machina, given the fact that there's an entire war-in-Heaven subplot that we're only catching intermittent glimpses of. Maybe it's meant to put the viewer in Sam and Dean's rather confused shoes. I don't know. What I do know is that it ain't workin' for me.)
The idea of the hunters being hunted around the set, with poor scared Misha in tow - that's an episode plot I could get behind. Not this.
Overall reaction: What the hell?
In the right hands, meta-snark is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.
This, though, felt messy and undirected.
I don't have a problem with the beginning or the end. It's that stuff in the middle that bugged me.
I'm left with the same impression as pretty much the entire rest of this season - a lot of potential gone unfortunately awry.
I was still pretty well on-board until 6.10. The last few episodes, though... *headdesk*
(with the exception of 6.13, which I really liked)